Mold

Mold

Mold is not “cured.” Once it has bloomed on an item, it will reappear whenever environmental conditions (high humidity) allow. Are you better off replacing the damaged item? If it can not be replaced, can you make a preservation photocopy or microfiche?

Reduce the humidity and temperature as soon as possible; open windows, use dehumidifiers, lower thermostats or raise air conditioning. Sunlight is the best cure for mold but remember that its ultraviolet radiation deteriorates paper. Expose the item until the mold is dry. GENTLY brush or vacuum the mold off in a well-ventilated area, away from any other items that might become contaminated. Use protective garb when working in a mold-infested area (respirator, particle dust-mask, surgical gloves). Many people are severely allergic to mold spores, and some mold is toxic. Do not return the book to its regular place until the mold spore count in the room is reduced to a normal level. Disaster Resource List, Health Concerns For Flood Recovery.

Other online resources:

Mold and Mildew: Prevention of Microorganism Growth In Museum Collections
The Invasion of the Giant Spore