Some of the following may be out of date. More current resources should also be consulted such as those available from the following websites:
Society of American Archivists Preservation Section
Provides information on electronic records and digital preservation, care of books and paper, audio-visual materials, exhibits, conservation and finding a conservator, professional preservation groups and departments, bibliographies, finding grants, workshops and training, and career opportunities.
Library of Congress
Preservation Department (with “Frequently Asked Questions” and “Caring for Your Collections” other useful information for the public)
The National Archives – For Family Historians and Genealogists
Caring for family papers, photographs, films. Considering your own digitization project and more.
Conservation OnLine (COOL)
Extensive site with resources for Conservation Professionals as well as the general public. Source for suppliers.
Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC)
Provides preservation information to museums, libraries, archives, historical organizations, and other cultural institutions.
Colorado Connecting to Collections
An initiative that aims to increase awareness of and support for collections and their long-term care and preservation at all levels of government and in the private sector.
National Park Service ConserveOGrams
Short, focused leaflets about caring for museum objects, published in loose-leaf format.
Environmental Monitoring Kits (EMK) for loan from Colorado Connection to Collections. Each kit includes:
PEM2 easy-to-use temperature and humidity logger
Designed for use in libraries and cultural institutions
NO user setup or installation of software is required
Data may be downloaded to your computer and accessed as a spreadsheet or text document
Analyze data and create detailed reports and graphs at www.eClimateNotebook.com
Canon Power Shot Camera
To learn more and submit a request to borrow a kit for either a one or three month period of time, please see our website: http://collectioncare.auraria.edu/programs/environmental-monitoring-loaner-kits
- Preserving Your Scrapbook of Memorabilia
- Storage Solutions for Oversized Paper Artifacts
- How to Flatten Folded or Rolled Paper Documents
- Surface Cleaning Paper
- Simple Paper Repair
- How to Do Your Own Matting and Hinging
- Map and Book Preservation – The Old Map Gallery
- Map Resources – Western Association of Map Libraries Map Librarians Toolbox
- Guild of Book Workers Supply Directory
- Considerations in Maintaining the Library of the Past
- Shelving Books and Use of Book Trucks
- Is Your Collection Dying on the Shelf?
- Leather Dressing: “To Dress or Not to Dress”
- Book Bugs in Colorado
- Cleaning Library Materials and the Stacks
- So You Wanna Make a Box?
- Polyester Film Book Jacket
- Spiral Bindings in a Hard Cover: An Alternative to Rebinding
Audio-Visual and Digital
- Optical Imaging: Systems and Planning
- Care of Archival Compact Discs
- The Proper Care and Feeding of Videotape