Most of the following publications were produced more than ten years ago and may be out of date. More current resources should also be consulted such as those available from the following websites:
Society of American Archivists Preservation Section
Provides information on electronic records and digital preservation, care of books and paper, audio-visual materials, exhibits, conservation and finding a conservator, professional preservation groups and departments, bibliographies, finding grants, workshops and training, and career opportunities.
Library of Congress
Preservation Department (with “Frequently Asked Questions” and “Caring for Your Collections” other useful information for the public)
The National Archives – For Family Historians and Genealogists
Caring for family papers, photographs, films. Considering your own digitization project and more.
Conservation OnLine (COOL)
Extensive site with resources for Conservation Professionals as well as the general public. Source for suppliers.
Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC)
Provides preservation information to museums, libraries, archives, historical organizations, and other cultural institutions.
- On the Road to Preservation
- The $103 Preservation Library
- AIC Definitions of Conservation Terminology
- Preserving Family Papers and Photoes
- Preserving Your Scrapbook of Memorabilia
- Storage Solutions for Oversized Paper Artifacts
- How to Flatten Folded or Rolled Paper Documents
- Surface Cleaning Paper
- Simple Paper Repair
- How to Do Your Own Matting and Hinging
- Care of Old Maps – The Prime Meridian
- Map and Book Preservation – The Old Map Gallery
- Map Resources – Western Association of Map Libraries Map Librarians Toolbox
- Preservation of Family Paper Documents (prepared by Colorado State University Libraries)
- Considerations in Maintaining the Library of the Past
- Shelving Books and Use of Book Trucks
- Is Your Collection Dying on the Shelf?
- Leather Dressing: “To Dress or Not to Dress”
- Book Bugs in Colorado
- Cleaning Library Materials and the Stacks
- So You Wanna Make a Box?
- Polyester Film Book Jacket
- Spiral Bindings in a Hard Cover: An Alternative to Rebinding
- Optical Imaging: Systems and Planning
- Care of Archival Compact Discs
- The Proper Care and Feeding of Videotape